Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphics card blew up yesterday

+6
Larry
irishgodfather1
baldwindeb
sharber60
Doc
T-Man
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 Empty Re: Graphics card blew up yesterday

Post by Guest August 26th 2008, 4:48 am

Thanks, Sharon.

I also added an extra fan to draw air in at the front of the tower when I was reassembling everything, now I have one bringing air in at the front and one taking air out at the back in addition to the power supply fans.

Everything is running pretty cool so far (assuming these figures are correct, of course). The computer had been running for over an hour when I checked.

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 20ubm09

Mind you, it was only about 17 Celsius in the room when I took that screenshot (from SIW). I'm sure the readings will be a bit higher when summer arrives. Cool

Back to top Go down

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 Empty Re: Graphics card blew up yesterday

Post by Guest September 1st 2008, 2:06 am

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this sort of thing happens to.

http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=489873

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 13th 2009, 9:32 pm

Well, now I'm really annoyed.

The motherboard I got from Chris last year has died in exactly the same way mine did. I had the computer running yesterday, wasn't even doing anything when *click*, it just turned itself off.

When I tried to turn it on again, the green and red lights on the tower stay on continuously (the green is supposed to, the red is the hard drive light). The fans are running but nothing else happens.

I'm getting the impression this is a common fault with certain older Gigabyte motherboards. Looks like it might finally be upgrade time. Cool

Now, I'm confined to my 2 laptops until I can get a new main PC up and running. Thank goodness for laptops. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by irishgodfather1 April 13th 2009, 9:44 pm

Boy Carl that's a shame.
Hope you get your new one up soon.
irishgodfather1
irishgodfather1
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya April 13th 2009, 9:55 pm

Carl D wrote:Well, now I'm really annoyed.

The motherboard I got from Chris last year has died in exactly the same way mine did. I had the computer running yesterday, wasn't even doing anything when *click*, it just turned itself off.

When I tried to turn it on again, the green and red lights on the tower stay on continuously (the green is supposed to, the red is the hard drive light). The fans are running but nothing else happens.

I'm getting the impression this is a common fault with certain older Gigabyte motherboards. Looks like it might finally be upgrade time. Cool

Now, I'm confined to my 2 laptops until I can get a new main PC up and running. Thank goodness for laptops. Laughing

Now you really have an excuse to upgrade! Wink
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 13th 2009, 11:55 pm

Trying to decide whether to just get a new motherboard, processor, RAM and graphics card (I can't use that expensive AGP card in any new motherboards, they're all PCI Express) or get a complete new tower with it.

Decisions, decisions... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 15th 2009, 9:30 pm

Carl D wrote:

I must be psychic.

http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=502454

Shocked

I'm off to the computer shop today. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 16th 2009, 1:04 am

Playtime! Laughing

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 A3pkr7

The black case on the left is the new one. The one behind it is the old one. I have to take the power supply, hard drives and DVD drive out later.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Motherboard (with solid capacitors made in Japan) $199.
Kingston Hyper X 800Mhz 4GB RAM. $69.
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz Processor. $184.
ASUS 9600GT PCIe 512MB Graphics Card. $168.
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case. $119.

Grand total of $739. Including $67.18 GST (Goods & Sales Tax) Shocked

Its only a modest system, I'm not into gaming or anything really intensive. Might have to put Vista on since I have 4GB of RAM, I'm going to have to reinstall Windows anyway.

I now have a rather expensive Nvidia AGP graphics card, two 2.8Ghz P4 Socket 478 processors, 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB sticks of DDR-400 RAM that I can't use anymore. Sheesh, with all the other computer parts I have lying around here all I need is another motherboard and I can make up a second PC. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen April 16th 2009, 11:58 pm

waiting to hear if it is up and running yet.

Looks like it will be a busy day for you today.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 17th 2009, 12:36 am

Nope. just doing a bit at a time. Spent most of the morning taking things out of the old tower. I'm not throwing anything out except maybe the 2 stuffed motherboards, I'm keeping the processors, RAM, etc.

I need an extra fan for the new tower to put in the front so it keeps the hard drives really cool. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 18th 2009, 11:15 pm

Finished! Well, sort of. I still have to put the digital TV tuner card back in later.

Easier to get to those pain in the butt motherboard connectors for the front buttons and LED's with it out just in case I haven't got them right.

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 14j8ab8

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 Neaov4

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 312wtwp

There's 2 fans in the front, one at the back and one on the top. That's in addition to the CPU and power supply fans of course. I like the idea of having the power supply at the bottom of the case. First one I've seen one with that. Makes it much easier to get to things on the motherboard. Cool

Now, I just need to get the courage up to connect it and turn it on. eek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 20th 2009, 11:34 pm

All working now. Cool

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 21n1sau

Had a weird problem where it shut down and restarted a few seconds after I pressed the power button every second or third time. After it was up and running in Windows, it could go for hours without a problem.

I noticed the processor fan wouldn't turn until a few seconds after I pressed the power button. It would 'twitch' slightly, then wait a couple of seconds before spinning. The protection circuit must have been activating to protect the processor from possible overheating.

It would also do it sometimes when I was restarting Windows, it would 'click' completely off and start up again instead of the 'soft' start it was supposed to normally do.

I did a search online and this appears to be a common problem with these Gigabyte motherboards. There was a BIOS update that I've installed which seems to have solved the problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mousessugar April 21st 2009, 12:37 am

Awesome Job there .. I would'nt know where to start .. wtg up
Mousessugar
Mousessugar
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen April 21st 2009, 4:19 am

Carl, I'm impressed. I really like those fans. I'm into lots of fans too, I don't have the front ones, good idea.

NOW in my house those fans move things and I have to dust it out more often, but in your house it doesn't look like it might be able to find a dust bunny to suck in.

awesome job.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 21st 2009, 4:37 am

Thanks, Marti and Doreen.

I was going to put Vista Home Premium on there but I've settled for XP Home for the time being. The digital TV tuner card doesn't work with Vista and I don't feel like paying another $200 or so for a new one at the moment. Laughing

It was just a matter of installing Windows XP with my programs back onto the 'C' partition (after downloading the latest drivers for my video card, etc.) All my data (movies, pictures, music, documents, etc.) were still on the other partitions. I wouldn't have lost them anyway - I have them duplicated on my 2 laptops as well as on a couple of external hard drives plus they're also on CD's and DVD's.

Hey, Shawna. Remember these?

Graphics card blew up yesterday - Page 2 33bl2x1

Those USB 'half a golf ball' extensions. I don't need to use them anymore since the new tower has 2 USB ports on the front. You'll have to change my title at FFA to something else now. I'm not 'Shiny Balls' anymore. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen April 21st 2009, 10:03 am

Carl D wrote:Thanks, Marti and Doreen.
You'll have to change my title at FFA to something else now. I'm not 'Shiny Balls' anymore. Laughing

Too much information for me,

Especially this early in the morning. I'm just having a coffee.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2