Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 7 Killer Feature

3 posters

Go down

Windows 7 Killer Feature Empty Windows 7 Killer Feature

Post by shanaya November 4th 2009, 8:24 pm

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/windows-7s-real-killer-feature-427?page=0,1&source=IFWNLE_nlt_blogs_2009-11-03

Windows 7's real killer feature
What gives Windows 7 a strong future is not what you're thinking

No, the real killer feature of Windows 7 is scalability. Simply put, Windows 7 does a better job of taking advantage of the available hardware resources than its predecessors. This scalability edge manifests itself in the form of better performance under complex, multiprocess, multithreaded workloads.

Given the same number of CPU cores, Windows 7 runs circles around both Windows Vista and Windows XP. In fact, the results aren't even close: In one multiprocess workflow test, Windows 7 outpaced Windows XP by 250 percent -- this on an eight-core (dual quad-core Xeon) HP Z800 workstation.

This is Windows 7's killer feature. It means that, as customers invest in new PC hardware, they'll be better positioned to reap the improvements in CPU, memory, and chip set performance by deploying Windows 7. It also means that sticking with Windows XP -- ostensibly because it is less bloated and performs better -- is a fool's errand.

Times have changed. The hardware landscape is much different than when Windows XP was on the drawing boards. Back then, the concept of a multicore CPU was still just that: a concept. Windows XP was designed for a world of single CPU desktops and the occasional two- or four-way (discrete CPUs, not cores) engineering workstation. It simply isn't smart enough to know how to leverage something as complex as a modern-day Core i7- or E5xxx-series Xeon processor.

I'll be diving more into this topic in an upcoming InfoWorld Test Center article that will serve as a follow-up to my original research on this subject. In the meantime, if you were looking for that killer feature (or catchy slogan) to sell you on a Windows 7 upgrade, here it is:

Windows 7: Smarter where it counts.
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Killer Feature Empty Re: Windows 7 Killer Feature

Post by Doreen November 4th 2009, 10:06 pm

thanks for the info..

I need to upgrade.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by irishgodfather1 November 4th 2009, 11:14 pm

Been on 7 a month and think it's great.
irishgodfather1
irishgodfather1
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 5th 2009, 8:58 am

I like 7 so far.

Looks a lot like Vista in many ways. And, I've never had any 'real' problems with Vista.

But, I think 7 is so much better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 8th 2009, 11:21 am

Hmm, no email program in Windows 7... apparently you can use Windows Live Mail if you want to. But, I've decided to use Mozilla Thunderbird instead. Looks pretty good to me. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen November 8th 2009, 6:32 pm

My neighbors grandson was / is a tester for 7 and he said it is Vista without the bugs/ problems.
also he said don't install it on any machine that wasn't made in the past couple years. I suppose he means memory and processor speeds as it is a bit of a hog?
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya November 8th 2009, 7:15 pm

Actually Windows 7 uses less resources, I don't see why you can't install it on a 3 year old machine.
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down