Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl

2 posters

Go down

Carl Empty Carl

Post by baldwindeb July 6th 2008, 10:27 pm

Australian climate report like 'disaster novel': minister

Sun Jul 6, 5:39 AM ET

SYDNEY (AFP) - Heatwaves, less rain and increased drought are the likely prospect for Australia, according to a new report on climate change which the agriculture minister said read like a "disaster novel".
ADVERTISEMENT

The report, by the Bureau of Meteorology and the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, found that the world's driest inhabited continent is likely to suffer more extreme temperatures due to climate change.

It said that exceptionally hot years, which once occurred every 20 to 25 years, were more likely to hit every one or two years. And the hotter weather could begin as soon as 2010.

Agriculture Minister Tony Burke said the assessment indicated that the risk of drought would double, as would the area of Australia declared to be in drought.

"Parts of these high level projections read more like a disaster novel than a scientific report," he told reporters.

"What's clear is that the cycle of drought is going to be more regular and deeper than ever."

The report is part of a government review of drought policy.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said the report, which found that the area of Australia having an exceptionally hot year could increase from just under five percent to as much as 95 percent, was "very disturbing".

"The analysis shows that the extent and frequency of exceptionally hot years have been increasing rapidly over recent decades and this trend is expected to continue," the report concluded.

Rainfall, which has been falling since the 1950s -- partly due to climate change -- is also likely to decline with southern Australia and the southern island of Tasmania among the worst affected, it said.

The cracked bottom of the empty Green Hill Lake outside the small rural town of Ararat, 2006. Heatwaves, less rain and increased drought are the likely prospect for Australia, according to a new report on climate change which the agriculture minister said read like a "disaster novel".(AFP/File/William West)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080706/sc_afp/australiaclimatedrought;_ylt=AjJwa8U9wEC_HXNQQ9ERMccszJV4
baldwindeb
baldwindeb
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Back to top Go down

Carl Empty Re: Carl

Post by Doc July 6th 2008, 11:14 pm

That could be catastrophic! There's too many areas already that are water-starved, and it's already affecting their ability to produce livestock. I don't know how much agriculture they do that the country really depends upon, but I know that grazing land has suffered a lot the last several years.
Doc
Doc
Rude, Crude and Obnoxious
Rude, Crude and Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 7th 2008, 12:05 am

Thanks, Deb.

I think I'll have to move back home to England after 2010.

Nice cold weather here at the moment though, the minimum last night was 3 Celsius (37 Fahrenheit).

Its now just after noon Monday here now. The temperature in this room is 12C (53F). Shocked

I'd rather freeze than fry anyday...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down