Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reformat

+3
Shadow
irishgodfather1
Doreen
7 posters

Go down

reformat Empty reformat

Post by Doreen November 2nd 2009, 10:25 am

How often do you reformat your computer to a clean install?
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

reformat Empty Re: reformat

Post by irishgodfather1 November 2nd 2009, 9:52 pm

I try and do it at least once a year.
They collect a lot of useless crap over time.
irishgodfather1
irishgodfather1
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow November 3rd 2009, 2:01 pm

When I finally figured out how to format and do a fresh install, I was doing it weekly lol! then monthly for a few months. Right now I am on the same install well over 4 years. It runs as good as the day I did the format only a little slower as I have well over 260 things installed on my computer. affraid
Of course I do have help doing this. I have had Norton Ghost on this comp since the last format and have had to restore my entire drive more then once but, have not used Ghost in well over a year.
Some say to format yearly, others say format only when it is needed. I say if you keep up with the virus protection, spyware apps., etc. don't download junk and of course keep up with all the Windows updates and no issues. Format only when needed.
Shadow
Shadow
Newbie Member
Newbie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by irishgodfather1 November 3rd 2009, 4:07 pm

Shadow wrote:When I finally figured out how to format and do a fresh install, I was doing it weekly lol! then monthly for a few months. Right now I am on the same install well over 4 years. It runs as good as the day I did the format only a little slower as I have well over 260 things installed on my computer. affraid
Of course I do have help doing this. I have had Norton Ghost on this comp since the last format and have had to restore my entire drive more then once but, have not used Ghost in well over a year.
Some say to format yearly, others say format only when it is needed. I say if you keep up with the virus protection, spyware apps., etc. don't download junk and of course keep up with all the Windows updates and no issues. Format only when needed.
I agree Shadow only as needed but if your like us our computers get a lot of use (about 16 hours a day) and have to be done more often.
irishgodfather1
irishgodfather1
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen November 3rd 2009, 9:37 pm

My laptop was formatted a few times, and it has been awhile, Probably Jan/ Feb 09 but I haven't even gotten everything installed back onto it.
The DT it has been a very long time, like you Shadow. 4 yrs probably, but I have used Norton Ghost a couple times.
it is clean from spy, virus, etc, but I do have about 6 columns of programs pop up when I go to start all Progz... (XP) I use them all, quite often.

not mentioning the standalone, no install necessary ones I have too. I can't imagine reinstalling everything.

thanks, I like to live by the motto of "don't fix it if it ain't broken".
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen August 6th 2010, 11:03 am

Ok. I still haven't formatted my desktop, and this thread was started 10 months ago.
several months the computer wasn't even looked at, it was left on but no one was near it for 4 months when I was sick.
there are so many programs on it I would lose with a complete install was the delay, but it windows installer tells me I am running in safe mode, so I can't install anything else. lol I will have to do a fresh install but hate to as I lose too many programs even if I don't use them that often.

those giveaway of the day are handy sometimes.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya August 7th 2010, 11:03 pm

Usually those Giveaway programs come around a few times, I have seen a few that have been offered several times, the same program.
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen August 8th 2010, 11:30 am

Yea, I know, but I hate installing all the programs I have.
just me, I should have Carl near by, he seems to be reformatting and installing systems often. lol
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by baldwindeb August 8th 2010, 7:01 pm

I hate to reformat, I hate having to install all the stuff you had. I have to save all my pics first.
baldwindeb
baldwindeb
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by George August 11th 2010, 12:59 pm

I format once a year, I back all my stuff up to another machine temporarily.

George
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lobsterj August 12th 2010, 3:54 am

I agree w/ deb, even tho I have an external...still too much junk...those from WS and remember when I had my win 98 puter...that was reformatted once a month..(because I learned on that puter and I messed with EVERYTHING) this VISTA is hitting 2 years and I havent yet...its getting time Shocked
lobsterj
lobsterj
Starter Member
Starter Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 16th 2010, 9:52 pm

Fortunately, I don't have to format very often. I have Ghost images of all my operating systems on the main PC and laptops. A 'clean install' image plus current ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by baldwindeb August 17th 2010, 8:19 pm

Carl D wrote:Fortunately, I don't have to format very often. I have Ghost images of all my operating systems on the main PC and laptops. A 'clean install' image plus current ones.

What does that mean for us slow people Carl lol
baldwindeb
baldwindeb
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by lobsterj August 17th 2010, 8:35 pm

LOL Deb...(like I have room to laugh...)
been meaning to check out imaging programs...just getting lazy about the computer lately
lobsterj
lobsterj
Starter Member
Starter Member

Back to top Go down

Post by baldwindeb August 17th 2010, 8:51 pm

Was up all night with my son Richard, had him in the er .His blood pressure was 228/124 and he was having a anxiety attack so I am slow today( really most days ) lol
baldwindeb
baldwindeb
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by lobsterj August 17th 2010, 10:05 pm

wow ...hope he is ok...all well?
lobsterj
lobsterj
Starter Member
Starter Member