Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question.... Doublekiller ??

3 posters

Go down

Question.... Doublekiller ?? Empty Question.... Doublekiller ??

Post by Mousessugar June 30th 2008, 5:30 pm

I am curious what you guys ( being the techie ppls you are Smile) think about this ..

Doublekiller
http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

This is the free one..

Benefits

* - Free up hard disk space by removing unnecessary duplicate files
* - Reduce the time needed for backups or file searches
* - Tidy up your picture or music collection

Features

* - Scans directories, complete drives or computers in your Network Neighborhood for duplicate files
* - Freely combinable comparison criteria (file name, size, date and content)
* - You can exclude files based on their name, file type, attributes or size
* - Presents a list of all identical files so you can decide which ones to remove
* - Deletes the files you chose or moves them to another directory
* - Allows to export the result list to a text file

in detail
Description

DoubleKiller searches single or multiple directories for duplicate files by comparing any combination of file name, size, modification date and content. Using user-defined masks like *.mp3 or *.dll you can limit the scan to files that interest you or protect important files from being scanned. Furthermore you can exclude files in a particular file size range or files with certain attributes, like hidden or system files.
When the scan is finished a list containing all duplicates found is displayed and you can manually or automatically select the files to be removed. The result list can be sorted and exported to a textfile readable by both humans and spreadsheet applications.
DoubleKiller is a stand-alone executable that does not need to be installed, just extracted and run, and does not alter the system in any way without the user's prior permission. Screenshots and Product Tour ยป
Mousessugar
Mousessugar
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Question.... Doublekiller ?? Empty Re: Question.... Doublekiller ??

Post by Doc June 30th 2008, 7:48 pm

Marti-

I have this, and use it. It works well, but I would caution you to proceed slowly. Once it gives you a page of duplicates, don't just go ahead and delete every second one. If they're documents, photos, .mpgs, etc. that's fine. But there are a few files, typically .dlls that might reside in more than one place, and if you delete one of them, something probably won't work right. Be sure what you're deleting, or don't delete it. What a Face
Doc
Doc
Rude, Crude and Obnoxious
Rude, Crude and Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Mousessugar June 30th 2008, 11:04 pm

Doc wrote:Marti-

I have this, and use it. It works well, but I would caution you to proceed slowly. Once it gives you a page of duplicates, don't just go ahead and delete every second one. If they're documents, photos, .mpgs, etc. that's fine. But there are a few files, typically .dlls that might reside in more than one place, and if you delete one of them, something probably won't work right. Be sure what you're deleting, or don't delete it. What a Face

Thank you so much for the info Doc, I appreciate your help. I'm good at the screw ups.. not so good at the fixes.. again thank you.. Smile
Mousessugar
Mousessugar
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen July 19th 2008, 10:55 am

I have used this for a few years. Especially with graphics, as you know I have an ambundance of those.

Just load the files you want to scan. MAKE sure you leave all the drives and folders/ files with anything to do with operations of applications/ programs alone.

I prefer it over several of the $$ ones.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down