Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard drive error/ disappears

2 posters

Go down

Hard drive error/ disappears Empty Hard drive error/ disappears

Post by Doreen October 17th 2009, 7:37 pm

this isn't the first time, but it has been over a year

My main hd with the operating system disappear and of course no slave either.
Now not totally sure that is the only problem, but that was the problem last night.
I was moving some pics around into folders and all of a sudden desktop quit responding totally. Nothing.
I clicked power supply as it was totally frozen, and on reboot no hd.
I booted from a disk and it wanted to install windows, but where as no hd was recognized.

I admit I'm not totally sure what I did to find out the temp of the puter was about 148* F.
Fans (4) were all running last I checked and they do make a bit of noise that was usual.
Just me? I am not stressing as it is gone to a fair place, and he will Norton Ghost over my drive to a new one, so I don't expect to lose anything but a little cash. The price of the hd and a few $$. Just curious if I might be doing something to cause this. I have open windows, no screens in the same room as the puter and live on a ranch so it is extreme dust, but I open it and blow out the dust monthly. Probably hotter than most rooms, but I live in 100*F heat and so the puter is hotter than many others.
I'd buy another if I have to, but I prefer to spend any money on another laptop if I had to spend.
I hate installing progz I have too many and haven't formatted in so long I don't remember but it might be 4 years.. bad I know. Shocked

suggestions of wth if any. ty
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Hard drive error/ disappears Empty Re: Hard drive error/ disappears

Post by shanaya October 17th 2009, 8:26 pm

Sounds like a hard drive failure, the heat may be tougher on a hard drive where you live. As you dust monthly that wouldn't be the cause. You have 4 fans, so that should be plenty of air circulation. You seem to be doing all you can to keep it going. Maybe the hard drive was just a faulty short-lived one. Some can last for years, others tend to die sooner.
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen October 18th 2009, 12:39 am

I keep getting the sooner.
This guy can usually save my drive and I can chance it lasting again, or I just get another. Its a pain to go back in.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down