Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 7 RC coming soon

3 posters

Go down

Windows 7 RC coming soon Empty Windows 7 RC coming soon

Post by shanaya April 23rd 2009, 6:37 pm

Windows 7 RC coming soon

Microsoft has confirmed on their web site that the release candidate (RC) of Windows 7 will be available for public download next month, and there will be no limit on the number of product keys available. This should avert a situation like the one that occurred when the public beta was released in January, when Microsoft's servers were overloaded by wannabe beta testers who were afraid they wouldn't get a copy since the company said the beta would be available for a "limited time." The RC is expected to remain available at least through June and won't expire until June 1, 2010.
http://www.vistanews.com/4I12A4/090423-Win7-RC-Download

Microsoft has asked current beta testers not to upgrade from the beta to the RC, because this may expose bugs that would not occur in the normal process of upgrading from Vista or installing clean. However, they did provide instructions that will allow you to upgrade a beta to RC if you insist on doing so even though the RC installation routine by default won't allow it.
http://www.vistanews.com/4I12A4/090423-Windows7-Upgrade
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 RC coming soon Empty Re: Windows 7 RC coming soon

Post by irishgodfather1 April 23rd 2009, 6:43 pm

Thanks.
Will upgrade my laptop soon as it's out.
Oh shit my laptop says she doesn't want to be upgraded.
Dumb blond.
irishgodfather1
irishgodfather1
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya May 11th 2009, 10:22 pm

I got it installed from the beta. There is a hack that Microsoft even posted even though they are against it as they want to see any bugs from upgrading from Vista to the RC, but all you have to do is this:
The Windows 7 release candidate setup will quit automatically if it recognizes a pre-RC build on the computer system. Microsoft did however publish a workaround for that for users who really need to do it:

1. Download the ISO as you did previously and burn the ISO to a DVD.
2. Copy the whole image to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the pre-release build).
3. Browse to the sources directory.
4. Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.
5. Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000 (pictured below).
6. Save the file in place with the same name.
7. Run setup like you would normally from this modified copy of the image and the version check will be bypassed.
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya May 23rd 2009, 1:03 am

I have the RC installed, per the steps that I applied here and it works like a charm, am loving the Win7 even more. The only thing though is that I had to re-install my Firefox and the Add ons I had. It did save my previous version of Windows but as Windows.old on the C drive so I can still access my stuff that I had on it previously. I am trying the Avira Antivirus on it as I had to re-install an antivirus program after upgrading. Will let you know how it is working in a few days.
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by richie48 May 23rd 2009, 9:51 pm

I also like Windows 7 alot. Please let us know if Avira Antivirus works on it.

richie48
Starter Member
Starter Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down