Shanaya's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 98 Computer

3 posters

Go down

Windows 98 Computer Empty Windows 98 Computer

Post by shanaya April 26th 2009, 7:09 pm

I did a big boo-boo! I got a Windows 98 computer from someone who was having problems with the graphics(it would only use 16 colors even after choosing 256 or higher) and so I found a German version of 98SE(figured I could change the language after install-STUPID!!!) as the computer was only the original 98 and I had a PCI video card to install in it from my Mom but it would not work with it at the time. So anyways, I did get an English version of SE but now the CD-Rom is crashing every time I try to use it! Meaning, when I try to use it, I get a blue screen error. Not sure exactly what it says as it is in German. I end up rebooting the computer. I know some of the German words as I remember where certain buttons are for selecting. That is how I installed it in the first place. Trying to find the area where I can uninstall the German SE and go back to the original 98. I did save the old OS but can't remember where to look and the steps to take. Google is not my friend right now, no answers there for 98. Mad I need to fix it before giving it back!
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Windows 98 Computer Empty Re: Windows 98 Computer

Post by Doreen April 26th 2009, 10:29 pm

I can give you links for a new download, I can give you the disk. But other than that I'm not much help.
Can you write down the words you see in German, and possibly convert them to English on another computer?

I'm not much help.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by sharber60 April 27th 2009, 1:26 am

Is this the first version of WIN98 OR WIN 98SE? WIN 98 full version CD.?
Is there a Win 98 Product Key on the PC? Have Win 98 full Install but no Key on the case.
Found a full Version Win 98SE
with Product code no longer being used.
As have no PCs with Win 98 SE Now.
Slid them under your door so don`t step on them..lol
You are going to have to format & Fdisk that PC to get the German version out first & start fresh.
Best to put in the Full Win 98SE if this PC will handle it. Does the floppy drive work to use a Win 98 startup floppy, has
format commands on that I think.
Found a Win ME startup disk & that may work as would have the commands on it I hope. Hopefully the floppy drive works on that PC, if not I have one that can be connected if the side is off the PC and just connect having it sit by the PC connected to the Floppy ribbon. Put the ME floppy under the door just now & let me know if you need the floppy drive, as very handy to have if a floppy isn`t working on an older PC. It is supposed to be internal but hooks up fine to the Floppy cable, sitting outside the PC..

Last edited by sharber60 on April 27th 2009, 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos & additioal info)
sharber60
sharber60
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya April 27th 2009, 1:38 pm

Thanks Mom
I will try your disks. I believe the floppy drive works. Have not used it yet.
I do have a full version of 98SE in English, the German one was a full version. I cannot format it as she has files and programs set up on it So what I am going to do is translate exactly what the error says to see what is wrong with using the cd rom. I have my external dvdrw drive hooked up to it and I got a little further with it. Will work a bit on it today when I get home.

Thanks also to Doreen! Smile
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya April 27th 2009, 6:11 pm

So far so good with mom's 98SE full disk, installing now. Yay! Thanks Mom! I don't have to format! Cool
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya April 27th 2009, 6:58 pm

All done and everything is in English! Now I can check to see if the PCI video card will work being as 98SE is installed. Has more support than the original.
I had to enable IRQ for USB in BIOS settings in order for the external DVD-RW to work(for some reason her 2 USB connections weren't working, and I did a little digging to find out how to enable them). Then I had to get a driver for the external to work. I had forgotten that with 98 you have to install a driver for everything you add to it. Fun, fun. That was all done yesterday, so today was a breeze thanks to mom! Cool
shanaya
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by sharber60 April 27th 2009, 9:34 pm

Good going, glad the one disk worked without losing anything.. Quite the job you had to do there without losing her files she had..
sharber60
sharber60
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen April 27th 2009, 10:27 pm

You are amazing!!! Good for you, glad it worked out.

I hope this person appreciates all that you went through.
Doreen
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down